Fun Things to do in Aurora
Once a budding frontier town of farmers and ranchers just east of the state's capital, Aurora is Colorado's third largest city with a diverse population of more than 386,000. From agricultural outpost to military bastion, Aurora established its foundation as a driving force in the west. And the rest is history.
The city of Aurora is a full-service city governed by a council/manager form of government, which combines the political leadership of elected officials with the managerial expertise of an appointed local government manager.
At 163 square miles, the city reaches into Arapahoe, Adams and Douglas counties. Aurora's strategic comprehensive plan emphasizes the formation of livable, full-service neighborhoods.
Aurora provides access to quality education. Four school districts and 12 campuses of higher learning meeting the instructional needs of residents and those beyond the city limits. The city's annual Aurora Scholars program honors a student in every grade in every school in Aurora.
Best time to go
May 21st to October 7th
based on average temperature and humidity from NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). Read below for more weather and travel details.
Fun city facts and activities
- Joined at the hip to the famed Mile-High City, Aurora (Colorado), forms one third of the colossal Metro Denver area; a sprawling metropolitan hub that totals more than two million locals in all.
However, unlike its near neighbors of Denver and Lakewood, Aurora has done well to retain something of its small town character, balancing that carefully with huge developments like the great Southlands Lifestyle Center and its countless 18-hole golf courses.
That makes for an interesting and welcoming town, where local breweries meet family-owned restaurants between the lively roadways around Havana Street; where residents barbecue and kick-back on the sands of nearby reservoirs and creeks, and where line-dances and country music are the order of the evening.
Neighborhoods to explore
- Aurora Hills
- Aurora is the third-largest city in Colorado and is on the fast track to becoming a culinary hot spot. The city showcases foods from cultures around the world, including Mexican, German, and Ethiopian dishes. With more than 250 eateries spread across this city, coined the "Gateway to the Rockies," youre sure to find something to make everyone at the table happy. These are the can't-miss restaurants in Aurora, Colorado.
Aurora Offbeat activities
Free or cheap things to do
1. Take a Ghost Tour Explore the darker side of Aurora's history by taking a guided ghost tour of the city.
2. Play Laser Tag Take your friends to one of the city's laser tag arenas and battle it out in the fog-filled arena.
3. Visit the Aurora History Museum Learn about the city's past at this museum filled with interactive exhibits and artifacts.
4. Take a Stained Glass Class Learn the art of stained glass at one of the city's many workshops.
5. Visit the Aurora Fox Theater See a classic movie or musical at this historic theater.
6. Take a Cooking Class Learn to make delicious dishes at one of Aurora's culinary classes.
7. Visit a Local Brewery Sample some of the city's best brews at one of Aurora's craft breweries.
8. Take a Hike Explore the great outdoors at one of the city's many hiking
Wichita seasonal activities
Activities for every season
1. Attend the Wichita River Festival: This annual nine-day event includes a variety of free concerts, art shows, carnival rides, fireworks, and more.
2. Visit the Sedgwick County Zoo: The Sedgwick County Zoo is one of the largest zoos in the Midwest, offering over 3,000 animals, including some of the worlds rarest creatures.
3. Visit the Exploration Place: The Exploration Place is Wichitas Science Museum, offering hands-on exhibits, science-related movies, and educational programs.
4. Enjoy a game at the Wichita Wingnuts Stadium: The Wichita Wingnuts are a professional baseball team that plays at the Lawrence-Dumont Stadium in downtown Wichita during the summer months.
5. Tour the Old Cowtown Museum: The Old Cowtown Museum is a living history museum that offers a look into the history of Wichita and the old West.
6. Spend a
Fun things to do in with kids
Free or cheap things to do
1. CROCK A DOODLE AURORA
Enjoy the fun of pottery painting in our bright and cheerful studio. A special place to gather with family and friends for art activities and every day fun.
2. AIR RIDERZ TRAMPOLINE PARK
Our Trampoline Recreation Centre provides an excellent atmosphere where youll experience fun and fitness by jumping on wall-to-wall trampolines in our 23,000 sq. ft. facility. We take pride in building the safest environment for everyone.
3. LAZER RUNNER
We are the top choice for sports team parties, youth group events, day camp outings, educational school field trips and corporate team building. Laser tag combines the classic game of hide-and-seek and tag with a high tech twist.
4. AURORA ARBORETUM
5. LABYRINTH ESCAPE GAMES
Labyrinth Escape Games is Auroras first live action escape room. Offering multiple, exciting themed experiences to challenge you and your friends.
6. CINEPLEX ODEON AURORA CINEMAS
7. KID'S CUCKOOS NEST
8. URBAN PARK PLAYLAND
City data and FAQ
What is Aurora famous for?
Mostly military, it is home to Buckley Airfield. Buckley has a strong presence in the US National security arena. Fitzsimmons was a large army/airbase in the 50s. Today the largest remnant is the Vetrans Medical Hospital.
Aurora also used to be home to Lowrey Airforce Base. There were a large number of missle silos that were built and maintained by Lowrey. My Grandfater was a painter inside the silos and as a kid I got to go into them with him. That was a real shock and awe moment for me the first time I went inside one.
Today Aurora is very suburban but does still have a large military population. There is also a world class Medical presence in the area. Fitzsimmons, CU Medical Campus, Childrens Hospital and the Anshutz Cancer Research Center are all within walking distance from each other.
Daniel Wofford Lives in Colorado (1957 Present)
Is Aurora Worth visiting?
Well it really depends what youre looking for, if youre looking to meet amazing people from all over the world while having amazing authentic food from all over the world this Aurora is most definitely worth visiting. The dispensaries in Aurora are generally better than the ones in Denver as well Im not too sure why but theyre a lil cheaper, a lot more laid back and try to take care of the customers. Theres some great trails and outdoor activities in Aurora as well and some of the best golf championship golf courses in the state. Since Aurora is situated to the east most part of the Tri state area you have the best views of the mountains you can get in the state as well. Absolutely stunning sunrises and drop dead gorgeous sunsets. If youre visiting Denver or Colorado in general I would definitely take a trip to Aurora, Havana has 100s of restaurants and cuisines that are all amazing and pretty affordable for the most part. And go to Murphy Creek Golf Course to see the best sunsets in the state. Now obviously I was raised in Aurora so there might be some bias however I left the state for a while and just cant stop talking about it to other people. Aurora is honestly one of the 23 cities Id choose to visit and live in if I was doing it all over again. So, YES is it worth visiting Aurora!
Quezdon Ivey Lives in Aurora, CO
things to do search ideas
aurora things to do, things to do in aurora, fun things to do aurora, aurora things to do today, fun things to do in aurora, things to do today in aurora, best things to do in aurora, things to do in aurora this weekend, free things to do in aurora today, comedy shows aurora, things to do in aurora this week, events in aurora today, things to do in aurora with kids